Chicago Heights - Police Blotter: Vicious dog: Bruce O'Neal, 308 N. Boston St., Chicago Heights, was charged with having an unvaccinated and dangerous dog after his pit bull attacked.
Bloomington - The pit bull attack that sent two people to the hospital last October, one of them for an extended stay and multiple surgeries, has prompted consideration of new dangerous and vicious dog ordinances. The goal is to prevent dog attacks.
To that end several changes are being considered:
- The city would automatically recognize a dog as dangerous or vicious if another jurisdiction has already done so.
- The city would place new requirements on owners of dangerous and vicious dogs who want to keep them.
- A “dangerous” dog would be one that behaves in a threatening manner or, without justification, bites a person or other animal without injury.
- A “vicious” dog would be one that bites without provocation or is known to attack or cause injury. A dog could risk euthanasia if it kills or severely injures a person or dog.
- A dog could risk euthanasia if it kills or severely injures a person or dog; if it has rabies; or it has been declared vicious and is not kept under the conditions spelled out under the new rules.
Many cities around Illinois are attempting to address and prevent dangerous dog problems which turn out to be pit bull problems:
Jan 30, 2013 Lake County defines "animal aggressive" as new category of dangerous dogs
It is Time, Elgin
Jul 13, 2012 Talk of the County Waukegan outlaw pit bulls
Jul 10, 2012 Waukegan woman’s canine companion killed by pit bull
Jun 23, 2012 Cary will look into dog bites
May 25, 2012 Carmi citizens want pit bull ban
May 21, 2012 Skokie considers stricter law after 3 pit bull-on-dog attacks
May 16, 2012 Bloomington may review pet registration law after pit bull attack
May 09, 2012 Waukegan approves pet ordinance
Feb 07, 2012 Family’s pet mauled by pit-bull type dog
Dec 20, 2011 Arlington Hgts. toughens penalties for dangerous animals following pit bull attack
Aug 08, 2011 Police want more teeth to proposed dangerous dog ordinance
Nov 16, 2010 Pit bull that inspired Machesney Park law faces euthanasia