Nov 26, 2012 Woodridge pit bull fatally mauls gentle maltipoo

UPDATE: More information has been received that the attacking pit bull had a previous dog attack that was not reported in exchange for the pit bull owner paying for medical bills.  And since the fatal attack on Buddy, the attacking pit bull was designated dangerous, but that did not stop the owner from negligently letting his dog run loose and it was picked up in April.  Can you imagine this dog that absolutely loves attacking and killing dogs running loose?  And NONE of this was reported in the media.

Woodridge - Ann Kramer sent in an account about the fatal pit bull attack that killed her sweet companion dog, Buddy.  She says that she wants to share the experience even though it was painful to sit and write it down.  She wants to share her story because she wants pit bull attacks to stop.  The media did not cover this.

Part of what makes sharing her story difficult is knowing she would have done things differently had she known how dangerous and lethal pit bulls are.  And now that she knows, she looks back in sorrow, feeling guilt that she should have done more to protect Buddy because Buddy  looked to her for protection.  She wants to share her story so other people can know and protect their beloved pets from pit bulls.
RIP sweet Buddy
Her story:
My experience was last year November 25th.  It was a really beautiful Sunday afternoon and my granddaughter and I had been sick for the 2 weeks before Thanksgiving.   But I felt great that day and wanted to take Buddy my little Maltipoo out for a long walk.

My Granddaughter was not with me when I decided to take Buddy for a walk, she was visiting with her mom.

I went out of my door ( I live in a condo on the 2nd floor) and started walking down the hall.  I heard something down the stairs (I had seen my neighbor walking out with their Pit Bull earlier) and figured it must be them coming back in.  So instead of going directly to the stairway, I stayed back and looked over to see who or what I could see.  I saw the dog coming up the stairs but didn't see the owner. I know the dog was on a leash but I could also tell it was a retractable leash.  I stepped back and said "I'll wait back here until you take your dog home"  I don't really know what he said maybe he said OK.  Not sure at this time. But I stayed back and was up against the wall watching the dog continue to come toward us.  I asked him "hey is your dog going to be ok?"  because at that time the dog was coming closer and I realized I wasn't far enough away from the dog.  Buddy got behind me up against the wall. The Pit came closer and I never saw the owner.  Then the dog was standing next to us against the wall looking down at Buddy.  The next thing I know was the dog just grabbed Buddy, and I started screaming "come and get your dog"  Just then I saw the owner for the first time.  But the dog took Buddy and got in another position in front of us.   At that point the owner started punching the Pit but it never let go.   At some point the owners brother came out and tried punching at the dog also but the dog never let go.   Finally and what seemed like a very long time of screaming and screaming and feeling like I was going to pass out.   I think I was screaming and crying as much as Buddy was crying.  This is so hard to go over again.  Then my neighbor came out and came running toward us and he was the one that got the Pit to let go.

I brought Buddy to the vet she had one puncture wound and two other wounds that didn't break the skin.  She had drains and stitches and they let me take her home.   But the shaking is what did the damage.  It seemed like it never ended.  She actually passed away on 11/26.

I hope that you can use my story for some good.  My sweet little Buddy wouldn't hurt a fly and I just couldn't get over how awful this was for her.  I know Buddy looked to me for protection and I feel like I failed her.  I will not ever get over how horrible this was.

Thank you, Ann, for sharing your heartbreaking story so others can save their pets.

Other pit bull attacks not reported in the media:
Aug 27, 2013 Bolingbrook police shoot pit bull attacking puggle
Jul 29, 2013 Zion teen receives $1.125 million after bullmastiff attack
Mar 06 2012 Pit Bulls seriously maul two dogs in Logan Square
Apr 18, 2011 Unreported Pit Bull Attacks in Chicago's 33rd Ward